The township of Leicester, originally known as Turkey Creek, had a Post Office beginning April 7,1829. The name of the township was changed to Leicester (pronounced Les-ter) in 1859. The town was named for Leicester Chapman. His father, Robert Chapman, was a captain under the Earl of Leicester and stationed in Wales. Leicester Chapman was named for the Earl of Leicester.