Most Asheville homebuyers realize that they can’t expect a perfect home inspection report when buying a resale home. Cosmetic flaws and minor repairs are easily managed and shouldn’t be deal breakers. That said, there are some issues that are more serious and should give the buyer pause if not addressed adequately.
10 Home Inspection Red Flags
- Leaky and Rundown Roofing – watch for signs of current or past water damage.
- Poor Drainage – drainage issues can cause serious damage to the home foundation, siding, and basements.
- Foundation Issues – signs of foundation problems can include cracks around doors and windows or uneven floors. Foundation problems can cost thousands of dollars to correct.
- Plumbing Problems – major plumbing issues should be considered carefully and further explored.
- Pest Infestations – termites and other wood-eating pests can cause extensive damage that can be hard to find and costly to repair.
- Mold – that “musty” smell could be due to hidden mold and further investigation should be taken as mold can be dangerous to the health of the family. Depending on the type of mold, it can be very difficult to remove entirely.
- Faulty Heating System – a malfunctioning furnace can be a fire hazard.
- Electrical Wiring – faulty wiring can cost thousands of dollars to repair.
- Structural Damage – sagging joists, rafters, and door jambs can be evidence of larger issues.
- Deferred Maintenance – a home in poor condition could be hiding more serious issues due to chronic neglect.
Homebuyers should be alert to these issues and know the costs to repair before concluding the sale. Home sellers should address these issues before putting the home up for sale to ensure they get the best possible sales price. Any questions, contact us today!
About Asheville Realty Group
Asheville Realty Group is a boutique brokerage firm offering full-service real estate services. We have locally experienced agents who specialize in residential homes, luxury homes, country-side acreage and everything in between. We love Asheville and the surrounding mountain communities that we call home!
Get in touch with us today by filling out the form below or give us a call at 828-252-1910
We would love to hear from you! Please fill out this form and we will get in touch with you shortly.