Have you ever been to a home where it’s clear that the kids have taken over the space? It’s obvious that the home has become more of a playground, filled with toys and bright-colored plastic everywhere. Homes like this often sacrifice style for durability or stain-resistance. Maybe this is your home? The good news is that it’s possible to create a home that incorporates the beauty of a stylish home with the practicality of living with children. Here are a few design tips to help, for your Asheville home.
• Be Realistic – You may love the look of crisp white sofas and delicate glass vases, but if you live with kids, opt for more durable choices. Natural fiber furniture in neutrals hide stains while looking stylish; choose a sofa with removable cushion covers you can pop in the wash as needed. Display beautiful wood or stone accent pieces instead of glass, to cut down on accidental breakage.
• Less is More – Uncrowded rooms allow for the excess energy of fastmoving children. Give them room to play. Less toys also means less mess when they’re all inevitably spread over the house!
• Double Duty Furniture – Look for stylish bins or hidden storage units such as ottomans where you can quickly dump excess toys when guests pop by.
• Create a Play Station – Carve out a special place for the kids to play, such as a basement family room or a cozy attic. Keep larger playsets and toys there and help the kids make it a special place just for them. This may keep some of the ‘kid clutter’ contained to one area of the home.
• House Rules – Develop some simple rules and then be disciplined about it. For example, a good house rule is that toys are gathered into storage units each evening before dinner. Cleaning things up a bit at a time makes it less overwhelming.
Most of all, strive for a livable home. It’s almost impossible to have a picture perfect home with kids, but by taking a few simple steps, you can merge a kid friendly environment with a beautiful adult home.
For more information on this, contact us at Asheville Realty Group today!
Blog compiled by Erin Secretarski, a licensed real estate agent and Director of Getting Stuff Done at Asheville Realty Group.
About Asheville Realty Group
Asheville Realty Group is a boutique brokerage firm offering full-service real estate services. We have locally experienced agents who specialize in residential homes, luxury homes, country-side acreage and everything in between. We love Asheville and the surrounding mountain communities that we call home!
Get in touch with us today by filling out the form below or give us a call at 828-252-1910
We would love to hear from you! Please fill out this form and we will get in touch with you shortly.
Leave a Reply