The Town of Fletcher is located on the northern tip of Henderson County, bordering the Buncombe’s County line. The Town of Fletcher was founded in 1856 when Dr. George Fletcher built a two-room house along Old Plank Road, which is now US Highway 25. Travelers seeking hospitality from their journeys quickly began stopping at Dr. Fletcher’s house.
The house was expanded as floors were added and the community grew with neighbors building a blacksmith shop, a store and tannery to accommodate the visitors. Dr. Fletcher’s four story house became the Fletcher Inn and the growing community became known as Fletcher. The railroad came to Fletcher in 1879, building a station that became the Village of Fletcher stop. Fletcher was officially named when the community’s first Post Office opened in 1886. The Town of Fletcher was incorporated in 1989.
For information on the Town of Fletcher visit www.fletchernc.org.