“Might I have a bit of earth?”
– Mary Lennox
from The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
There’s something instinctively exhilarating about looking at a piece of raw land, so expectant, full of promise and eager to create something. There’s something that connects us to that land, wanting it to be ours – not to possess, but to be part of – to share it and call it home. Buying land is fulfilling.
If you’ve ever looked at land this way, we get it. With the crazy shortage of houses for sale, and the renewed appreciation for being home, more and more people moving to these mountains are considering purchasing land on which to build their home. For those people coming here from larger cities, or places like Florida, where the land is flat and the yards are tiny, western North Carolina has a dizzying amount of land for sale – giant parcels with acreage, smaller lots on cul-de-sacs, and everything in between. You can be on a mountain, in a valley, by a stream, in the woods – whatever you imagine. Along with those plentiful options, though, come many, numerous items to consider when making your decision to buy.
THINGS TO KNOW WHEN BUYING LAND:
- What is the property zoned for?
- What utilities are currently present?
- Is there a recent survey? Has the property been subdivided? Is the plat recorded?
- What was the previous land use? Are there any biohazards present?
- What about flight paths in the area?
- What inspections should you do if you do get some land under contract?
- How do you finance land?
- How do you know if you can even build the home you want on the land?
- What are the costs involved in site preparation and how will that affect the total cost of your new home?
- How much does it cost to build in the mountains?
- Are there reputable builders available? On what timeline?
- What about supply chain issues and the length of time to build?
These questions and more are all important to consider! An experienced local expert can help you get the answers you need. All around Asheville, we are seeing more land selling recently than we have for the past ten years. Our Realtors® are knowledgeable and have a network of professionals on call to consult with. We can help you connect with the piece of earth you long for.
About Asheville Realty Group
Asheville Realty Group is a boutique brokerage firm offering full-service real estate services. We have locally experienced agents who specialize in residential homes, luxury homes, investment properties, country-side acreage and everything in between. We love Asheville and the surrounding western North Carolina mountain communities that we call home! Get in touch with us today by filling out the form below or give us a call at 828-252-1910.
We would love to hear from you! Please fill out this form and we will get in touch with you shortly.
Leave a Reply